On Tuesday 2nd July, the Chairperson and General Secretary of NABMSE met Mr. Joe McHugh, Minister for Education and Skills to discuss important issues for special education. Among the issues discussed were:
- School insurance
- Provision of school nurses
- Bus Escort training
- Staffing issues for special education
- Posts of responsibility
- Subject teachers for special schools
- Financial issues for special education including capitation and other grants
- Progress on implementation of NCSE policy advice papers
- Progress on the special school building programme
This was a very positive meeting and we look forward to engaging with the Minster and his senior officials on these and many other issues in the near future.
We also look forward to welcoming the Minister to our annual conference in Athlone on 11th October to help us celebrate 50 years of NABMSE.