The National Association of Boards of Management in Special Education(NABMSE) is the management voice of Special Education in Ireland. It provides countrywide representation of Boards of Management of Special Schools and Mainstream Schools that provide education for pupils with low and high incidence special education needs:
- Is one of the statutory consultative groups in the education process. It is represented on the National Council for Special Education, National Council for Curriculum and Assessment, NCCA Special Education Steering Committee and the National Council for Special Education Consultative Forum. It is also represented at all relevant working groups at the Department of Education and Skills. At present NABMSE is involved in the Circular 038/2010 Staffing arrangements in Special Schools Working Group, the Child Protection Guidelines Working group and the Teacher Vetting Working group among others.
- Lobbies the Department of Education and Skills, other Government Departments and statutory bodies with responsibility for SEN Students.
- Liaises with other partners in education on all issues affecting members.
- Are involved in the development of In Career Professional Development training for Boards of Management. This includes the annual conference and regional seminars.
- Provides members with information, advice and support through our office, on current issues.
- Commissions research into issues affecting Boards of Management working with pupils with special education needs(SEN). This includes research on challenging behaviour and the admission to Special School of post 12 year old students who have attended mainstream schools. NABMSE is engaged with the NCCA on the draft Curriculum Framework for students with General Learning Difficulties.
- Makes submissions to projects / studies/ committees dealing with issues that affect Boards of Management dealing with pupils with SEN. This ranges from the Implementation of the EPSEN Act in 2006 to Child Protection for Schools 2010.
Training/Seminars/Conferences for Boards of Management
An important part of NABMSE’s role is to provide training and information to it’s members. Each year, NABMSE provides a one day National training event and conference for all Board Members. More recently, regional training seminars have been organised for Boards of Management. Regional seminars have been on topics of interest and concern to members in the particular region. Regional seminars will be organised in Galway, Cork and North Eastern region in 2011.
There are also national modules of training for Board of Management members as follows:
- The Board as a Corporate Entity
- Appointment Procedures
- Board Finances and the role of the Treasurer
- Legal Issues – Policies and Procedures
- Child Protection
These modules of training are provided nationally under the auspices of CPSMA by the local Diocesan Education offices. This training can be attended by all Boards irrespective of their patronage and are funded by the Teacher Education Section of the Department of Education and Skills.